The story until now…
It all started in 1962 with ‘Spacewar’, the first of its kind and then there was no looking back for the video game industry. This ever evolving field of technology has touched millions of lives, be it a 6 yr old or 60 year old, it has taken control over the minds of all; it’s like puppets to the puppet master, slaves to the owners, zombies controlled by their masters- the players to the video games! The journey of the evolution of this technology is commendable. The essential part of a video game, without which it can’t be played, is:
Well you guessed it right- the CONSOLE! The development from first to eighth generation of these consoles has been quite impressive. But the ninth generation of consoles will see something that will not only change the video game industry but all of science and technology for the better. Have you ever thought of telepathy? Something similar to what is portrayed in the movies- make the car move just by thinking about it, make the computer type whatever you want to, and make the robot walk just by imagining it. This is how the console will work, on the concept of Brain computer interface.
A glimpse of eight generation technology:
A brain computer what? Let’s rephrase- Neurogaming
For all the gaming lovers out there, I’m not talking about the brain of the computer- which is a CPU. We’re talking about a brain computer interface! Yes, sounds pretty alien like. Well controlling your online player without having to even move a finger is what we’re talking about. Yes! Now I’ve got your attention! All you have to do is imagine the player going right, the player will automatically take a right, imagine it jump, kick, box, whatever you want, however you want it to be, the player will do as u wish! The technology behind this miracle is BRAIN COMPUTER INTERFACE. It’s like controlling the player with your brain, like telepathy. The electromagnetic waves generated by your brain will be caught by the console which will enable you to control the player.
How does it work?
- Using non-invasive Brain computer interface (BCI), Neurogaming enables the users to interact with the console, without the use of a traditional controller like a joystick or a motion controller wand.
- Meaning- makes the player move on the screen without even moving a finger. These neurogaming softwares use a player’s brain waves, heart rate, pupil dilation, expressions or even emotions to complete tasks or affect mood of the game.
- For example, game developers at Emotiv have created non-invasive BCI that will determine the mood of a player and adjust music or scenery accordingly.
- Interaction between a player and the software in such a manner is aimed at providing a more realistic gaming experience.
- Utilizing the user’s ‘psychological state’ will help transfer reactions of users to their games in real-time action.
A glimpse of the future of gaming:
How does gaming help the world?
Earlier in this article I had mentioned “ninth generation of consoles will see something that will not only change the video game industry but all of science and technology for the better”. All those who think I’ve lost my mind, well i haven’t, yet! What I primarily meant by that statement is- the applications of this technology vary from the field of gaming to biology. For those whose lives depend on gaming to those whose lives actually depend on this technology for survival, it will change everything.
Saviour of the day
This technology can be used for assisting, augmenting or repairing human cognitive or sensory motor functions. Ranging from limb replacement to bringing back vision to the visually impaired, this technology will serve as a means to provide life to those who had lost hope. It’s a saviour, so let’s welcome it with open arms.
By Shreya Gupta
Views presented in the article are those of the author and not of ED.