Why do we Indians fall for the spiritual and ‘pious and pure’ Godmen and Godwomen? Are we innately like this or is this because we are absolutely gullible and foolish and as naive as a cow? Pun intended. And why do we display this stupidity of ours out front?
Well, to begin with, we are extremely religious people. Religious freedom is the pinnacle we have to reach past the seven stages of life. And therefore, these Godmen thrive on the word “religion”. They enchant the people with their fake aura and mesmerize them with sweet talk of ‘nirvana’ and ‘karma’. The followers are usually so jaded with their mundane lives that they are beguiled by the sermons and become blind followers.
Complementing it with the fact that we are ridiculously superstitious – dipping oneself in the river like a tea bag to absolve of all sins, being reluctant when a black cat crosses our way, not buying steel on certain days – the list could be infinite. Indeed.
To simplify the complicated lives we live, we choose to follow these people but instead, we get all tangled.
Here’s a list of people we should unfollow to get our “mischief managed”:
- Nirmal Baba: Started from the bottom, now we are here. That could be his life story. His life is so sorted that he has free (not literally, but the kind of advice I wouldn’t take even for free) advice for everyone. His suggestions are so absurd that a sane person would want to bang their heads in the wall but, he teaches us a valuable life lesson that variety is the spice of life like trying a red chutney may bring out the luck suppressed by the green one.
- Radhe Maa: The women just wanted the best of both worlds but us, oh lord us, we couldn’t let her live in peace. Donning a red hot miniskirt, her alter ego is just as deceiving as the women she claims to be with that bridal fetish. You know something’s really wrong when her calendar man is named Talli Baba and as a solution to your problem you get kisses and hugs! (I am just saying, judge for yourself). And the rumour mills are filled with some seriously gross and vulgar stories of what ‘pleasure’ she really gives to her ‘male’ bhakts!
- Ramdev: The man with the most pliant stomach I have ever seen, a man who would give the gymnasts a run for their money, he is our very own Baba Ramdev. I have nothing against yoga. I am all for it. It’s a beautiful remedy to de stress and yes, he does it well. But talking a talk is easy but walking it ain’t easy. Especially after the big black money talk he does. Sir, what do you have to say about the man who gifted you an island? *wink wink*
- Asaram Bapu: I am quite sure most of you would have unfollowed him by now, but if not, GO. The clock is ticking, do it now. He is an ascetic who exorcizes evil spirits out of young girls by sexually assaulting them. Two minor boys had previously been found murdered near the ashram premises and allegedly sacrificed for black magic. Need I say more?
- Ichchadhari Sant: This self-styled godmen was arrested by the police of the capital for allegedly running a high-profile prostitution racket in Delhi and was slowly spreading its wings in the adjoining region. He claimed to be disciple of Sai Baba.
These men and women were just a spill out of the bucket of dirt. There are a thousand like them living on our fear and lack of consciousness. Godmen give a justification to the people whom karma is not fair with and they become believers. But, at the end of the day, what they do, is it right? We have risen them to the altar and we have to be the ones to bring them down because a world built on lies is not good enough for anyone.
Image credits: Google
Views presented in the article are those of the author and not of ED.