By Kabir Chaudhary
Verizon is one of the biggest names in the telecommunications sector and is the largest wireless communication provider in the US. Verizon and some of the world’s leading technology companies are working together to make 5G a reality. Meanwhile, my only wish is to have 4G a reality in India!
What is 5G?
5G or the fifth-generation mobile network denotes the next serious stage of the mobile network in telecommunications which comes after the 4G network. A new telecommunications standard is introduced approximately every 10 years. 2G appeared in 1991 followed by 3G in 2001 and 4G in 2012. You can expect 5G by the end of this decade and it would be an extremely fast network which could possibly be the ‘Usain Bolt’ of mobile networks.
Benefits of 5G
- 5G could potentially benefit both the consumer as well as the businesses
- For businesses, it would mean adding additional capacity and speed for the network to function non-stop
- For consumers, the 5g would offer speed to your smartphone like nothing you have seen before. Games, movies, apps, etc. will be downloaded in a fraction of a second. Basically, 5G would be super-fast
- The introduction of millimetre wave frequency as a spectrum will significantly increase the bandwidth of the wireless mobile network
- Also, 5g would immensely cut short the time taken to transfer data. No need to wait for minutes for the video to buffer or wait for the web pages to open
- Additional features may include multi-media newspaper and ability to watch T.V. programs in High Definition
- 5G will have better coverage area which means it can be expanded to areas where signals are hard to catch. Whether you are stuck in a desert or forest, its millimetre wave frequency will function without any disruptions. Earlier, mobile networks had limited coverage area
Comparison between 5G and previous mobile networks:
|Speed||50kbits to 10mbits||384 kbps to 2mbps||20 to 100 mbps||20gbps|
|Bandwidth||200 KHz||5-20 MHz||100MHz||20-30 GHz|
|Access technologies||CDMA and TDMA||W-CDMA, 1xRTT, EDGE||OFDM and MC-CDMA||–|
|Network Architecture||–||Wide are cell- based||Hybrid: integration of LAN and wide area||Data not given|
|IP||–||A number of air link protocols, including IP 5.0||All IP (IPv6)||IPv6
Will India get a taste of it?
Well, no. Currently, Verizon only has its corporate telecom subsidiary (Verizon Enterprise) here in India which means there is no chance that India can get access to 5g technology from them. Verizon wireless which is heading the project only operates in North America and South America and parts of Europe.
Verizon is committed to being the leader in the communications and is driving the 5G innovation.Verizon’s 5G network has been sent for approval to the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) whose swift action is critical in launching the 5G technology before the end of this decade.
DHFL Pramerica is one of the fastest growing life insurance companies in India taking care of customers’ various financial protection needs such as savings, wealth creation, etc. Call to build your bank balance!https://www.dhflpramerica.com/
Tellofy is an online word of mouth app, where you can post real reviews & feedback about anything! They make sure it reaches the brand, so they can work on it. Get connected now and save yourself from fake reviews. Get the app to get Tellofy-ing!http://www.tellofy.com/
SWAYAM by FICCI’s FLO is to support women and students aspiring to be entrepreneurs, with mentorship, consultancy, investment, growth & network. Register to become one!http://swayam.ficciflo
Views presented in the article are those of the author and not of ED.